HMAS TINGIRA Ex SOBRAON - 1912 http://ift.tt/2qtoF4r

HMAS TINGIRA Ex SOBRAON - 1912
The training ship Tingira was originally laid down as the Sobraon for the shipping firm Lowther, Maxton and Co. The original design provided for composite sail and steam propulsion, however, the latter was not incorporated and the ship was completed as a three masted clipper relying solely on sail.
http://ift.tt/2diPHHr
HMAS Tingira was a training ship operated by the Royal Australia Navy (RAN) between 1911 and 1927. The ship was built in Scotland by Alexander Hall & Co. in 1866 as the passenger clipper Sobraon; the largest composite-hull sailing vessel ever built. She sailed on an annual migration run between England and Australia until 1891, when she was sold to the colonial government of New South Wales for use as a reformatory ship. The vessel was then sold to the federal government in 1911, and entered RAN service. Tingira was paid off in 1927, but despite efforts to preserve the ship, was broken up in 1941.
http://ift.tt/2qtyz6f


from John Currin (JC 's Naval and Military) - Google+ Public Posts http://ift.tt/2qtgMMy
via IFTTT