HMNZS Mako, P3551 now http://ift.tt/2rsNLy2 HMNZS Mako, P3551 now Built: Madden & Lewis, Sausalito, California. Type: Harbour /Seaward Defence Motor Launch Pennant No.: Q1183/P3551 Name means: shark Displacement: 47 tons std, 54 tons full load Length: 72 ft./22 m Beam: 5.8 ft./ 4.8 m Draft: 5.3 ft./ 1.6 m Propulsion: 2-shaft Gray diesels, bhp 330 Speed: = 10 knots Complement: 10 Armament: 1 x 20mm AA, 2 x 0.5in Colt Browning mg, 4 x .303 machine guns, 8 DC Q1183 was the first of 16 Harbour Defence Motor Launches (HDML) to be delivered to the RNZN in 1943. She was commissioned on 6 March 1943 and was the lead vessel in forming the 124th. ML Flotilla at Auckland. She was used in anti-submarine patrols in the port approaches and the Hauraki Gulf northwards to Cape Brett. In July 1944 she was transferred for detached duty at Dunedin. A planned deployment to Manus Island for the Admiralty in November 1944 was cancelled and she returned to Dunedin. On 30 June 1945 she paid off in Auckland, was disarmed and placed in reserve on a mooring. Q1183 was commissioned on 15 July 1946 for fishery patrols, a task she was to perform for the next 28 years with one short break on the Tamaki’ run’ in 1950. In 1948 she was reclassified as a Seaward Defence Motor Launch (SDML) and was named Cook. In 1949 she was renamed Maori and renumbered P3551 until being commissioned as HMNZS Mako in July 1955. The engines were replaced 1958 with Foden 12 220 bhp, doubling the power but only increasing her speed to 12 knots. In 1960 she was modernised with radar and a mast and the hull was painted black. In 1962 she took part in an extensive whale survey around NZ. On 12 October 1969 the Fishery Squadron was adopted by Wairoa and Mako led Kahawai and Haku over the Wairoa bar to receive the freedom of the town. In early 1970 Mako and Maroro were guard boats for HMY Britannia during the Royal Tour. In 1972 Mako retired from fishery patrols and was transferred to the RNZNVR until finally dismantled and declared surplus 1976. She was sold to a private buyer and is today (2010) in excellent condition as a private launch in Australia. View full size (960x720)

HMNZS Mako, P3551 now
Built: Madden & Lewis, Sausalito, California.
Type: Harbour /Seaward Defence Motor Launch
Pennant No.: Q1183/P3551
Name means: shark
Displacement: 47 tons std, 54 tons full load
Length: 72 ft./22 m Beam: 5.8 ft./ 4.8 m Draft: 5.3 ft./ 1.6 m
Propulsion: 2-shaft Gray diesels, bhp 330 Speed: = 10 knots
Complement: 10
Armament: 1 x 20mm AA, 2 x 0.5in Colt Browning mg, 4 x .303 machine guns, 8 DC

Q1183 was the first of 16 Harbour Defence Motor Launches (HDML) to be delivered to the RNZN in 1943. She was commissioned on 6 March 1943 and was the lead vessel in forming the 124th. ML Flotilla at Auckland. She was used in anti-submarine patrols in the port approaches and the Hauraki Gulf northwards to Cape Brett. In July 1944 she was transferred for detached duty at Dunedin. A planned deployment to Manus Island for the Admiralty in November 1944 was cancelled and she returned to Dunedin. On 30 June 1945 she paid off in Auckland, was disarmed and placed in reserve on a mooring.

Q1183 was commissioned on 15 July 1946 for fishery patrols, a task she was to perform for the next 28 years with one short break on the Tamaki’ run’ in 1950. In 1948 she was reclassified as a Seaward Defence Motor Launch (SDML) and was named Cook. In 1949 she was renamed Maori and renumbered P3551 until being commissioned as HMNZS Mako in July 1955.

The engines were replaced 1958 with Foden 12 220 bhp, doubling the power but only increasing her speed to 12 knots. In 1960 she was modernised with radar and a mast and the hull was painted black. In 1962 she took part in an extensive whale survey around NZ.

On 12 October 1969 the Fishery Squadron was adopted by Wairoa and Mako led Kahawai and Haku over the Wairoa bar to receive the freedom of the town. In early 1970 Mako and Maroro were guard boats for HMY Britannia during the Royal Tour.

In 1972 Mako retired from fishery patrols and was transferred to the RNZNVR until finally dismantled and declared surplus 1976. She was sold to a private buyer and is today (2010) in excellent condition as a private launch in Australia.


from John Currin (JC 's Naval and Military) - Google+ Public Posts http://ift.tt/2rsTa8u
via IFTTT